VMware Player is a free product from VMWare that allows you to run many different operating systems in a virtual environment on your computer. It’s like having another separate computer in your computer . There are a number of reasons why you should be using it:
- You have an environment to install trial software without polluting your regular environment. This means you can also try newer versions of software you already have on your computer without messing up the current version.
- Read more…
The U.S. Defense Information Systems Agency’s (DISA) Information Assurance training Website is open to those outside of the .mil domain. This means that you (and your staff) can get important security awareness training absolutely free, courtesy of the U.S. government. These multimedia presentations cover the basics that every business person need to know about computer security. Topics include:
- DoD Information Assurance Training
- Federal Information System Security Awareness
- Personal Electronic Devices / Removable Storage Media
- Personal Identifiable Information (PII)
- Phishing Awareness
If your company doesn’t have a computer security awareness training program in place, these are perfect. Just have your staff watch these presentations and sign an acknowledgment form confirming that they’ve watched all of them. You may want to decide which of the first two presentations is most appropriate for your organization. Even though one is targeted for DoD personnel, there is certain information you may want your staff to know. Make sure that every new staff member watches these presentations and you’ll be all set!
To make it less painful for your staff to go through the training, you may want to spread it out over several days or weeks. Don’t forget to have everyone review them annually. People have a tendency of “forgetting” little details over time, so it’s a good idea to fresh their memory.